PLP #7: Partitive and Quotitive Division

Based on our async work this week, I decided to focus on division. I, personally, was having a difficult time identifying the difference between the partitive and quotitive approaches to division. So today I reconstructed two Khan Academy visuals using arrays. 



Standard:

-       CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.OA.A.2  Interpret whole-number quotients of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 56 ÷ 8 as the number of objects in each share when 56 objects are partitioned equally into 8 shares, or as a number of shares when 56 objects are partitioned into equal shares of 8 objects each. For example, describe a context in which a number of shares or a number of groups can be expressed as 56 ÷ 8.



Partitive:




Quotitive: 




Reflection:

Even as I was constructing these arrays, I had a few issues. Specifically, when I was trying to verbalize the partitive approach, I stumbled on wording multiple times. And then it hit me: I have always instinctively approached division quotitively. That is why it has been so hard for me to verbalize—because my brain habitually asks, “What is the number of groups?” Once I realized that and had my “aha” moment, the partitive approach actually became much easier for me to conceptualize. I think that’s because I finally recognized how my brain was fighting against that approach. That is something I will definitely remember when I'm in the classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLP #10: WHACK-A-BALL

PLP #9: Investigating Computer Games