PLP #9: Investigating Computer Games
In response to last week’s presentations on concept games and this week’s reading on technology in the classroom, I’ve been inspired to dive further into two different computer games and investigate their usefulness. I recognize I devalue computer games a bit based on my preconceptions of what “real math” is. That definitely comes from what was available when I learned math (and how it was taught). This week I am trying to break out of that and reorganize my thinking.
Game: Alien Addition (Math Playground)
This game mirrors space invaders. The student is defending against an alien invasion and must shoot a laser at the spaceship that is labelled with the addition problem that adds up to the number given on the bottom of the screen. This game would help a tremendous amount with fluency.
Content Standard:
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.OA.B.2
Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.2 By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.
Math Practice:
CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP5 Use appropriate tools strategically.
CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP6 Attend to precision.
CCSS.MATH.PRACTICE.MP7 Look for and make use of structure.
Game: Two- and Three-Digit Addition with Professor Beardo (Education.com)
To maintain some continuity, I looked for a more advanced addition game. The premise of this game is to help professor Beardo mix the right amount of different liquids to create potions by adding two numbers together. The liquids can be used as virtual manipulatives. The student can then check their work and revise if needed. This is a very silly game and seems to be lots of fun.
Content Standard:
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.2
Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
Hi Keith! I enjoyed reading your post. I have never heard of either of the math concept games that you mentioned but I will say they sound fun and very interesting. It’s pretty cool that the Alien Addition game that you first mentioned is mirroring the space invaders game. That might have the students be even more intrigued to play the game since it may be similar to a game that they have played before. The second math concept game that you mentioned also sounds really engaging for students to play. They would be learning without even realizing it because of the fun they would be having playing those games! -Victoria Yudenfriend
ReplyDelete