Collaborative Learning (PLP #1)

 I have chosen to explore different ways to implement collaborative learning practices in math class. This is something that is a bit foreign to me due to the way I was taught. My mathematics education was very traditional; lots of right and wrong, not much exploring together.

Based on my research, I produced a drama game for Math:


Split students into pairs. Give each student a mathematical word problem. Each pair must work together to create a dramatized version of the word problem. Those skits can be shared with the class and the whole class can then talk about how to solve the problem.


2nd Grade Example:

Word problem: Peter had 41 marbles. Mike gave Peter some more marbles and then he had 65 in all. How many marbles did Mike give Peter?


Possible scene: 
            Peter: Wow! I have 41 marbles to play with!
            Mike: Ya know, I have some more marbles I’m not using. Want those?
            Peter: Sure, thanks Mike!
                        (Mike gives Peter Marbles)
            Mike: You’re welcome. Now you have 65 marbles!
            Peter: Whoa. How many did you give me?


(The class can then discuss!)


Further reflection:

  1. Coming from a theater background, I think I instinctively gravitate towards incorporating drama games for group activities. This particular activity was inspired by a dissertation I discovered written by Lucy Lynn Bryson (https://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3017&context=etd). I think incorporating this activity, or other drama-based activities like it, would be a fun and engaging project for students and could liven up and give emotion to math class. Most importantly, I think it makes math active. I hope that is the use someone else could get out of this post. This helps me meet my goal (exploring collaborative learning in math) by helping me bridge the gap between my life in theater and my life in education. Going forward I would like to explore more collaborative practices outside the realm of theater. I think that would broaden my tool belt.

Comments

  1. Keith, I really like how you took your background in theater to produce what sounds like such a fun math game! I think a game like this will promote collaborative thinking and will engage the whole class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith, I think this is a really great idea that will increase student motivation and confidence in math. Your students will have a lot of fun reenacting the ridiculous scenarios we see in math problems, while they work together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really enjoyed reading your blog! Promoting collaborative thinking in math seems like fun and very engaging. Students will definitely be motivated in learning in your classroom! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLP #10: WHACK-A-BALL

PLP #7: Partitive and Quotitive Division

PLP #9: Investigating Computer Games