Math Practice One (PLP #2)

After completing my reaction paper to the NCTM standards and Common Core Mathematical Practices, I was inspired to change course this week. I wanted to take the math practices out of the abstract investigate ways to incorporate them explicitly in a lesson. I decided to start at the beginning and focus on Math Practice One. As a reminder, MP1 states "Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them."

I found a great video on explicitly teaching Math Practice One to third graders: 



After watching this, I decided to make a MP1 worksheet that would give somewhat of a step-by-step guide for students to use while working on a content problem. Here is my first pass:


I would make this a bit prettier and more colorful for my students, but this is basically the format and info I would want it to include. I tried to design this worksheet with the definition given on the Common Core website in mind. Here is the definition and I will highlight the parts I pulled from:

Mathematically proficient students start by explaining to themselves the meaning of a problem and looking for entry points to its solution. They analyze givens, constraints, relationships, and goals. They make conjectures about the form and meaning of the solution and plan a solution pathway rather than simply jumping into a solution attempt. They consider analogous problems, and try special cases and simpler forms of the original problem in order to gain insight into its solution. They monitor and evaluate their progress and change course if necessary. Older students might, depending on the context of the problem, transform algebraic expressions or change the viewing window on their graphing calculator to get the information they need. Mathematically proficient students can explain correspondences between equations, verbal descriptions, tables, and graphs or draw diagrams of important features and relationships, graph data, and search for regularity or trends. Younger students might rely on using concrete objects or pictures to help conceptualize and solve a problem. Mathematically proficient students check their answers to problems using a different method, and they continually ask themselves, “Does this make sense?” They can understand the approaches of others to solving complex problems and identify correspondences between different approaches.

Reflection

I think this was a good start on exploring how to include a math practice in a lesson. The video I watched made the point that these practices include skills that need to be explicitly taught. My hope is that this worksheet could serve as a graphic organizer to show students how to think through math problems. The inclusion on the worksheet of multiple methods can hopefully signify that 1) there is not ONE right way to get to a solution and 2) trying a method that doesn’t work is very much a part of the process. Going forward I am hoping to continue working on integrating the math practices with the content standards and I would ultimately love to reintroduce my initial inquiry into collaborative learning along with the standards. My plan now is to work on them separately then start bringing them all together slowly. We’ll see if that works!

Comments

  1. Keith this is a great math practice to focus on, making sense of problems and persevere in solving them, as a child math was not my favorite subject simply because it did not have that sense of math concepts being all connected and understanding that math build on itself, so to see this MP1 play out in your learning path will be great to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith, What a great idea! I would love to see an actual problem you try to work through. I wish we all had classrooms of our own so that these new ideas could just be put to good use. We could just give the students different problems and your worksheet with a few ideas on how to use it and let them go and see how they flourish! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLP #10: WHACK-A-BALL

PLP #7: Partitive and Quotitive Division

PLP #9: Investigating Computer Games