PLP #3: Intro to Multiplication and Math Practice One

Today I am writing about my attempt to connect Math Practice One with a 3rd grade multiplication content standard: 

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.OA.A.1 – Interpret products of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 5 × 7 as the total number of objects in 5 groups of 7 objects each. For example, describe a context in which a total number of objects can be expressed as 5 × 7.

For some guidance and inspiration, I completed a module from Khan Academy, Third Grade Intro to Multiplication (https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-third-grade-math/intro-to-multiplication). Here’s the problem I churned through the worksheet:
A squirrel collects 3 acorns a day for 5 days. How many acorns did she collect in total?

And here’s the completed worksheet (I'm having technical difficulties uploading a pic so here's a link):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bG1k_t1-y5PCjzElwviq1IFpeNsOsFFYbAbFAfIjzxM/edit


Reflection:
I am so happy that I worked through the Khan Academy module. It is one thing to understand the concept of teaching multiplication but it’s entirely different to see it in action. It really made me take a step back and realize just how clear and deliberate we need to be as math teachers when introducing new mathematical concepts. I have a tendency to get ahead of myself and take my knowledge for granted at times and don’t necessarily remember what it took to solidify these new concepts in my mind.

I also enjoyed putting the worksheet I created to work. It really helped me see how I could integrate Math Practice One while teaching content standards. I think I need a lot of reinforcement in that area since the Math Practices seem so far from how I was taught math. I was taught through so much memorization. When doing the reading this week and learning between higher-level and lower-level mathematical demands, it really made me think how much of my math education was of the low-level ilk. I want to be able to make my math class more active and making sure I can incorporate those practices is a good start.

Comments

  1. I agree with you that we were definitely taught differently. It was more about memorization and pass! Khan academy is amazing and your blog is very detailed and clear. Thank you. Multiplication is just repeated addition!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLP #10: WHACK-A-BALL

PLP #7: Partitive and Quotitive Division

PLP #9: Investigating Computer Games