PLP #8: Name That Shape!

Today I decided to work on second grade geometry. This is something that I recognize needing to refresh myself on so here we go! I watched a Khan Academy video and completed an Education.com worksheet that you will see below. 


Standard:

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.G.A.1
Recognize and draw shapes having specified attributes, such as a given number of angles or a given number of equal faces.
1 Identify triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, and cubes.


Here is the worksheet:




 

Reflection:
I think it is nice that I’m beginning to realize what I DON’T like about activities/worksheets. I realized this worksheet was low-level and somewhat unclear at times. Specifically, the cube shape up there I was confused myself about when I saw it. What I would do for my students is label which shapes are 2D or 3D OR have actual blocks of the shapes that they could hold and inspect. I would also ask for an explanation as to why it would be that shape (which characteristics). That portion could be done through paired up discussions between students. 

Comments

  1. Keith, thank you for sharing! I really like that you shared how you don’t like that this is an example of low level learning. This is a really good point, and it could easily be improved with explanations and follow up activities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLP #10: WHACK-A-BALL

PLP #7: Partitive and Quotitive Division

PLP #9: Investigating Computer Games